Version 1.3.11

The latest news about Gargoyle

Moderator: Moderators

Eric
Site Admin

Re: Version 1.3.11

Post by Eric »

Mitar: I've tried doing exactly as you say and haven't been able to reproduce the problem. It is true that whenever you save settings on the Connection/Basic page the network needs to restart and it will be down for a few seconds (up to a minute depending on your router but it's usually a lot faster for a 1043ND). However, the router doesn't reboot. Could it be that you're just seeing the network restart and interpreting it as a router reboot? If you look at the Status/Overview page you can check the uptime -- is that getting reset to zero?

Mitar

Post by Mitar »

yeah unfortunately router is rebooting , all LEDS on router switches off and then SyS light starts blinking and router is loading Linux.
Maybe it's because of version of router ? I have 1.6

ihchris

Post by ihchris »

I'd like to confirm Mitar problem with rebooting. I have a WZR-HP-G300NH and after upgrading from 1.3.10 to 1.3.11, I had many repeated full reboots, the only change I was trying to make was to the webmon page. I cannot be of much further help, because after a few tries I flash back to 1.3.10 and have no further problems. If I can be of further help please let me know.

Chris

jone

Post by jone »

I've also seen the same rebooting problem with my WR1043ND, always while making config changes, seems stable in normal use.

Jon.

Eric
Site Admin

Post by Eric »

I'm still having a lot of trouble reproducing the bug, but since so many people seem to be experiencing problems, I'm convinced something is going on here.

I have a few questions for anyone who is seeing this problem, that may help me track it down (and I would really like to track this down as soon as possible):

First, if you disable the bandwidth monitor (ssh into the router and run /etc/init.d/bwmon_gargoyle stop ; /etc/init.d/bwmon_gargoyle disable) do you still see this issue? The majority of the changes made from 1.3.10 ->1.3.11 were updates to the bandwidth module, so my suspicion is that something new in that module is causing the problem.

Second, what timezone are you in? This may seem an odd question, but a lot of what changed in the bandwidth module is code that deals with time shifts and time zone shifts. It may matter where you're located (though even after altering the timezone in my router to a large number of values I'm having trouble replicating the problem).

Finally, if you don't have a WAN connection (i.e. the cable is unplugged), and you update and save the configuration, do you still see these reboots?

ihchris

Post by ihchris »

(wzr-hp-g300nh) When I first upgraded, my first reboot was when I changed the password. Then another after I restored the old config (I think this was a legit reboot) then reboots after I tried making changes to the "web usage" page I rebooted again. I tried that for a couple of times and went back to 1.3.10. I upgraded (to 1.3.11) again with the same results; again back to 1.3.10.

This time with WAN disconnected, upgraded everything is fine. Configs save normally reloaded old config (did get a reboot here, but I think it should). Seems normals. I unplugged it.

Hooked the WAN cable back up, plugged the power back in, everything is fine. Configs saves, no reboots, performance good, etc. I am in central time zone.

Sorry I didn't try your other steps first, but the No WAN install seems to have worked for me.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Chris

gogubeb

Post by gogubeb »

I think there is a bug on bandwidth usage table i reported here.

robnitro

Post by robnitro »

I stopped bwmon and disabled it long time ago as I don't need it. Well same thing with 1.3.11 but when I edit qos upload or qos download rules and hit save, it ends up rebooting the router. Router is Buffalo G300nh like others have seen issues with.

DoesItMatter

Post by DoesItMatter »

WZR-HP-G300NH - Running 1.3.11

Upgraded via GUI from 1.3.10

DID NOT reload an old config

Tried messing with all types of settings in QoS Upload/Download

No reboots of any kind.

People who are getting the reboots - try re-flashing 1.3.11

Re-configure from scratch - DO NOT load an old config file

Then see if any changes cause the router to reboot.
:twisted: Soylent Green Is People! :twisted:
2x Asus RT-N16 = Asus 3.0.0.4.374.43 Merlin
2x Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH V1 A0D0 = Gargoyle 1.9.x / LEDE 17.01.x
2x Engenius - ESR900 Stock 1.4.0 / OpenWRT Trunk 49400

ihchris

Post by ihchris »

to DoesItMatter:

Rebuilding from scratch seems reasonable, however, my rebooting problems (that have been solve per prior posts) started prior to loading the old config. My first reboot was during the initial password setup...you can get more freshly flashed than that, after that I was checking out the new B/W and OoS stuff when I was getting reboots.

All of this was prior to loading the old config. For some reason that I don't quite understand, flash-->set password-->reload old config, worked just fine with the WAN disconnected.

My WAN connection is using PPPoE, if that happens to be a common theme with reboots. I have no idea.

I'm curious if doing re-flashing (and reloading the old config) with the WAN disconnected has worked for anyone else having this reboot problem?

Thanks,
Chris