Should Web Usage log Skype access?

Report issues relating to bandwith monitoring, bandwidth quotas or QoS in this forum.

Moderator: Moderators

Hurra

Should Web Usage log Skype access?

Post by Hurra »

Hi all

I've been tracking internet usage using OpenDNS for sometime. It tells me someone within my home is using Skype. So I bought the Dlink router from this site with Gargoyle on it. I'm definitely getting web usage logs. Since putting the router in place, OpenDNS is still logging traffic to Skype, particularly pipe.skype.com which I am assuming is the video communication tunnel, and skypewebexperience.live.com where one signs in. However, nothing is showing up on Gargoyle. Is Gargoyle only picking up certain types of traffic?

I have the Dlink hooked up to my cable modem/router and the wifi on the cable modem is turned off. All my home internet traffic is feeding through the Dlink router minus my desktop which I only access and is locked. I don't use Skype so its not me.

Any help is reallyappreciate. :cry:

pbix
Developer

Re: Should Web Usage log Skype access?

Post by pbix »

Skype traffic is peer to peer traffic so you will not see anything to any website.

Also Skype doesn't use much bandwidth anyway and you might have trouble seeing it in all the other traffic you have.

Skype likes to use UDP connections if it can so that might be a clue if you look in the connections page. But it will try other connections if it cannot establish a UDP connection.
Linksys WRT1900ACv2
Netgear WNDR3700v2
TP Link 1043ND v3
TP-Link TL-WDR3600 v1
Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH2
WRT54G-TM