QoS First time setup

Report issues relating to bandwith monitoring, bandwidth quotas or QoS in this forum.

Moderator: Moderators

Michael0948

QoS First time setup

Post by Michael0948 »

I have given http://www.gargoyle-router.com/wiki/doku.php?id=qos a SOLID read, but there is only so much my handicapped brain can handle. All jokes aside I just recently got my internet service up and running from a move back to the family home.

Bit of Info:

Thomson TG782t in Bridged mode with a Wndr 3800 with Gargoyle 1.6.2
17.25 Mbps / 0.80 Mbps

----------------------------------------------------

Basically my needs are as follows, I have moved back into the family home and as expected there are a few more users than just myself now. This has brought forward the need for QoS.

Theres me on my gaming computer (My only device).

Theres my mothers boyfreind on his phone and computer (downloading/streaming god knows what)

Theres a 15 year old who mainly uses his xbox360 for gaming.

Theres my mother and twelve year old brother using their mobile devices (very light use)

----------------------------------------------------

I currently have three classes set for download (Starting with download, I can work with upload later on)

"ACC is turned ON"

The only rule I currently have is for my PC (IP ending in .217) to be put into the "gaming" class which is ONLY for me. Essentially when I'm using my computer for whatever reasons I want to be the first man onto the plane, and everyone else to share the remaining bandwidth as seen in the "other" class. I do plan on making an xbox class and giving that it's own limit to ~120 kb/s. In doing this I hope to be able to game efficiently without streaming from the two boys interfering. I hope to keep this simple to begin with and learn as I progress.

--------------------------------------------

I would definately also appreciate any other tips and feedback that you all may have that could help me in my endeavours for lag "freeish" gaming such as how to apply a rule for steam ports, how to find what ports games use and how to apply rules for those too, Also anything I may have overlooked/missed when posting this, simple stuff to you guys could save me a world of annoyance.

I also noticed when I first loaded up gargoyle that there was default rules set in place for port 80 and another port in which i cannot remember (come to think of it there was a few) could anyone explain what these were for and if they are needed?

---EDIT---

or

I'm a bit confused now, I have destination in my download QoS, is this correct?

pbix
Developer

Re: QoS First time setup

Post by pbix »

You are on the right path. Just be sure to test all your rules. You should be using the destination address on the download page based on what you are doing. Opposite on the upload page.

The default setup included a connection limit which causes initial web browser page loads to be quick but slows down long loads.

Test and you will learn. If you have further questions be sure to post your test results with any questions.

Steam ports are well known. Use Google.
Linksys WRT1900ACv2
Netgear WNDR3700v2
TP Link 1043ND v3
TP-Link TL-WDR3600 v1
Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH2
WRT54G-TM

Michael0948

Post by Michael0948 »

Okay so my current QOS setup is like this, first rule is same as before with the following three rules my brothers devices all put into his own class with a limit on his xbox downloads, now when I'm downloading say a steam update it shows that it's getting put into the "other" class, where as I believe my rules should put everything from my computer into the "michael" class?

http://i.imgur.com/3UMDUZh.png <--- Download and QOS distribution side by side

now here is my current qos setup for download

with my speedtest results being ~ 18.11mbps I have ACC ON and my total bandwith set to about 17204kbits/sec

---------------EDIT-----------------
this shows that the VAIO tablet (belonging to mothers boyfriend) goes into the correct class "other", and the xbox falls into the correct class "Jay" whereas my computer "michael" is falling into "other" even with my first rule stating it should be in the "michael" class

pbix
Developer

Post by pbix »

You did not prove that you have the right IP address for Michael. This you can see on the connected hosts screen.

The other thing I will remind you is that when a connection is made it is assigned a class. It will not change just because you added or modified a QoS rule. So there can be some latency as connections close between when you make a change and when you see all connections from a particular computer are correctly classified.

If you want to be sure about connections you have to get them all closed, change the rule and make a new connection. Or just wait a bit and it will close on its own.
Linksys WRT1900ACv2
Netgear WNDR3700v2
TP Link 1043ND v3
TP-Link TL-WDR3600 v1
Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH2
WRT54G-TM

Michael0948

Post by Michael0948 »

you are very correct, IP Address in my rule was a digit wrong. Onto another problem I ran into and cannot get my head around, Port forwarding should be simple enough yes?

I've used port 8001 just as an example here, it's for nothing specific.
I just need to be able to open a single port, yet I find it's not working for me for whatever reason

pbix
Developer

Post by pbix »

I suspect the port forward is working fine, your computer is not answering because you have nothing running there listening on this port.
Linksys WRT1900ACv2
Netgear WNDR3700v2
TP Link 1043ND v3
TP-Link TL-WDR3600 v1
Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH2
WRT54G-TM

Michael0948

Post by Michael0948 »

Okay i'll get a little more testing and get back to you, when I get home thanks