QoS for home network

Report issues relating to bandwith monitoring, bandwidth quotas or QoS in this forum.

Moderator: Moderators

GargoyleNoob

QoS for home network

Post by GargoyleNoob »

I have a WDR 3600 with Gargoyle 1.6, 30/4 speeds, and I'm looking to setup rules for every device on my network which consists of:

-A gaming PC that is also used to steam to Twitch (2500 CBR) and also download torrents (on port 53906)
-A tablet is used to view my twitch chat and receive media from my HTPC
-A HTPC in the bedroom that has XBMC that I use to watch live streams and Universal Media Server to serve media to other devices
-A WDTV Live in the living room that most of my media is served to and is also used for watching HD videos on Netflix
-A laptop that is used for browsing, downloading torrents (on port 53906), and watching HD videos on Netflix
-2 phones that are used for browsing and receiving media from the HTPC
-A Canon MG3200 Wi-fi printer
-A guest network for friends and family that may get bad reception and need to use Wi-Fi to use their phones.

IPs:
-Gaming PC 192.168.1.2
-Tablet 192.168.1.3
-iPhone 192.168.1.4
-Windows Phone 192.168.1.5
-WDTV Live 192.168.1.6
-HTPC 192.168.1.7
-Laptop 192.168.1.8
-Guest Network 192.168.1.9 - 192.168.1.14
-Printer 192.168.1.15 (end of DHCP)

I have the information I need, but I cant figure out exactly how to put everything in place even after reading the wiki.

This is what is needed at max capacity:

-Torrents slowed down to only use 5Mbps max download and 1Mbps max upload
-The gaming PC to have at least 5Mbps to use for matchmaking and at least 2Mbps upload for streaming
-The HTPC to get no more than 10Mbps download
-The phones,tablet, and guest network to have no more than 1 Mbps down apiece so they can still be used to browse and receive updates with no issues
- The WDTV Live and laptop to have at least 5Mbps for stable HD streaming

At least twice a week, all of these devices are fighting for bandwidth with one-another. For instance, My son may be watching a live HD feed in XBMC on the HTPC while serving an HD video through Universal Media Server to my wife that is watching the WDTV Live, while a family friend is over watching Netflix on her laptop, while Im playing and streaming a game to Twitch.

I'm usually the one that stops what Im doing when the complaining starts, but I'd rather everyone be able to have a fair share of the pie without compromise. Any help is greatly appreciated.

pbix
Developer

Re: QoS for home network

Post by pbix »

Convert your Mbps requirements into percent.

Then make classes the match percentages you calculated. For example

Torrents 10%
Gaming PC 20%
HTPC 20%
WDTV 20%
Default 30% (Phones, Guests)

Then with these classes in place write your rules to map each device to the proper class. Test each change as you go along.

Make sure the ACC is on and working properly.

Get it working on the download side and then repeat on the upload side.
Linksys WRT1900ACv2
Netgear WNDR3700v2
TP Link 1043ND v3
TP-Link TL-WDR3600 v1
Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH2
WRT54G-TM

GargoyleNoob

Post by GargoyleNoob »

Sounds good. On the download side when I input port 53906, I check source, correct? Or is it download/ destination, upload/ source? That's the most confusing part to me.

GargoyleNoob

Post by GargoyleNoob »

Im all set! Thanks for the input. It was just enough to steer me in the right direction.

Currently, Im watching a stream on source from twitch on my gaming PC, downloading 2 movies on my HTPC, and streaming netflix on my WD live in HD w/o a single hitch or slowdown. I set my torrents to never use more than 2/3 of my connection even when the b/w is available and it dials back very easily to 25% once the link gets loaded.