Bridge and repeater setup 1.9.X

Report wireless and/or network connectivity problems in this forum.

Moderator: Moderators

NGowner

Bridge and repeater setup 1.9.X

Post by NGowner »

I thought I did, but upon closer examination, I did not.

I have it working now, but I'm not happy that I can't get from my main wired computer to the wireless bridge/access point centrally located in my house. I have to fire up a laptop that's wirelessly connected to the AP to manage its settings. I'm also not happy that I now have to double up on restrictions because the bridges deploy IPs on the .1.1 one subnet, and the wireless AP deploys IPs on the .2.1 subnet.

The tutorial on bridging and repeating is quite inadequate. I have no idea how the different modes actually work, nor how to configure them.

Here's what I want.

Star network configuration.

1043ND in the middle (metaphorically). SSID-Anchor. The 1043 is the brains of the operation handling all LAN/WAN management functions (website restrictions/Time of Day/IP assignments/DHCP, QOS, etc.). All devices, whether wired or wireless use the same subnet. Access to the internet (TWC) is here.

4 wireless bridges 841NDs scattered throughout the house, and the only devices permitted to connect to the 1043's SSID-Anchor.

The middle (physically) 841ND wireless bridge is also a plain access point broadcasting the home's standard SSID.

This was easy with 1.6.2. This doesn't seem possible now with 1.9.1. Or am I wrong?

[NG]Owner

Lantis

Re: Bridge and repeater setup 1.9.X

Post by Lantis »

Can I please get a rough network diagram of your desired outcome please?

This is fully achievable I believe and you won't have the issues you've raised.

However, with the flash size of the 841 routers, I'd actually recommend you stick to 1.6.2. But try 1.9.1, and see how it goes.
If you experience instability, I'd downgrade.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

NGowner

Post by NGowner »

Can't attach the network diagram.

Board attachment quote reached ....

[NG]Owner

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

Please host it externally
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.